Code No.: BCA 103 L T C
Paper: Business Communication 3 0 3
INSTRUCTIONS TO PAPER SETTERS:
1. Question No. 1 should be compulsory and cover the entire syllabus. This question should have objective or
short answer type questions. It should be of 25 marks.
2. Apart from Question No. 1, rest of the paper shall consist of four units as per the syllabus. Every unit
should have two questions. However, student may be asked to attempt only 1 question from each unit. Each
question should be 12.5 marks.
Concepts and Fundamentals: Meaning of communication, Importance of
communication, Communication scope, Process of communication, Communication models
and theories, Essentials of good communication - The seven Cs of communication, Factors
responsible for growing importance of communication, Channels of communication, Verbal
and Non-Verbal communication, Formal and Informal communication, Barriers of
communication [No. of Hrs: 12]
Written Communication: Objectives of written Communication, Media of written
communication, Merits and demerits of written communication, Planning business messages.
Writing Letters: Business letters, Office memorandum, Good news and bad news letters,
Persuasive letters, Sales letters, Letter styles/ layout.
Report Writing: Meaning & Definition, Types of report (Business report & Academic
report), Format of report, Drafting the report, Layout of the report, Essential requirement of
good report writing.
Language Skills: Improving command in English, Choice of words, Common problems with
verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, conjunctions, punctuation, prefix, suffix etc.
[No. of Hrs: 12]
Oral Communication: Principles of effective oral communication, Media of oral
communication, Advantages of oral communication, Disadvantages of oral communication,
Styles of oral communication.
Interviews: Meaning & Purpose, Art of interviewing, Types of interview, Interview styles,
Essential Features, Structure, Guidelines for Interviewer, Guide lines for interviewee.
Meetings: Definition, Kind of meetings, Advantages and disadvantages of meetings/
committees, Planning and organization of meetings.
Job Application: Types of application, Form & Content of an application, drafting the
application, Preparation of resume.
Project Presentations: Advantages & Disadvantages, Executive Summary, Charts,
Distribution of time (presentation, questions & answers, summing up), Visual presentation,
Guidelines for using visual aids, Electronic media (power-point presentation).
Arts of Listening: Good listening for improved communications, Art of listening, Meaning,
nature and importance of listening, Principles of good listening, Barriers in listening
[No. of Hrs: 10]
Business Negotiation: Definition of negotiation, Factors that can influence negotiation, what
skills do we need to negotiate, Negotiation process (preparation, proposals, discussions,
bargaining, agreement, implementation). [No. of Hrs: 10]
1. Rayudu, “C.S- Communication”, Himalaya Publishing House, 1994.
10 w.e.f. session 2005-2006
1. Reuben Ray, “Communication Today: Understanding Creative Skill”, Himalaya
Publication House, 2001
2. Malra Treece, “Successful Communication for Business and Management”, Prentice
3. Bovee & Thill, “Business Communication Today”, McGraw Hill, 2003
4. Murphy and Hildebrandt, “Effective of Business Communication”, 5th Ed., New York
5. Rajendra Pal and J.S Korlahalli, “Essential of Business Communication”, Sultan
Chand and sons, 1997.
6. K. K. Sinha, “Business Communication”, Galgotia, 2003