Mechanics of Solids
Paper Code: ETME 207 L T C
Paper: Mechanics of Solids 3 1 4
UNIT - I
Simple Stresses & strains: Tensile, Compressive, shear and volumetric stresses and Strains, stress strain diagram, complementary shear stress, lateral strain and Poisson’s ratio.
Compound bars and Temperature stresses: Stresses in compound bars carrying axial loads and subjected to temperature stresses.
Complex stresses and strains: Principle stress and strain due to combination of stresses, Mohr’s circle theories of Failures. [No. of Hrs.: 11]
UNIT - II
Simple bending: Shear force and bending moment diagrams of cantilevers, beams under concentrated, uniformly varying loads with and without overhangs.
Stresses in beams and cantilevers under bending, beam of uniform strength, flitched beams, bending due to eccentric loads.
Slope and defection of cantilevers and beams under concentrated and uniformly distributed loads. [No. of Hrs.: 11]
UNIT - III
Columns: Combined direct and bending stresses in columns, Euler’s and Rankine Gordon equations.
Torsion: Stresses and strains in pure torsion of solid circular shafts and hollow circular shafts. Power transmitted by shafts; combined bending and torsion. [No. of Hrs.: 11]
UNIT - IV
Springs: Close-coiled, open coiled springs under torque and moment.
Cylinders: Thin and thick cylinders, Lame’s Theorem, compound cylinders, spherical vessels.
[No. of Hrs.: 11]
1. Jindal U.C., “Strength of Materials”, Galgotia Publication, New Delhi, 1998.
2. Ryder G.H., “Strength of Materials”, Macmillan, Delhi, 2003.
3. R.K. Bansal, “Strength of Materials”, Laxmi Publication, New Delhi, 2001.
1. Sadhu Singh, “Strength of Materials”, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 2000.
2. Timoshenko S.P., “Elements of Strength of Materials”, East-West affiliated, New Delhi, 2000.
3. Hibbler R.C., “Mechanics of Materials”, Prentice Hall, New Delhi, 1994.
4. Popov Eger P., “Engg. Mechanics of solids”, Prentice Hall, New Delhi, 1998.
5. Fenner, Roger.T, “Mechanics of Solids”, U.K. B.C. Publication, New Delhi, 1990.
6. Sri Nath L.S. et.al., “Strength of Materials”, McMillan, New Delhi,2001